Neighbourhood Complaints


You not permitted to make any noise that can be heard outside the property or make any noise that may reasonably be considered a nuisance for neighbours in adjacent properties or in the immediate area between 11pm and 8am. This includes radio or TV at excessive volumes, musical instruments or audio equipment, yelling or shouting.

You should also behave in a responsible and respectful manner regarding noise outside of these times, bearing in mind that you live in a residential area where your neighbours may have children, or work nights etc.

Where we receive noise complaints, we will always, in the first instance, arrange for a visit by our Property Inspector. You will be contacted to arrange a time, and all tenants must be present to discuss the complaint in detail.

Other agencies may be involved, including the police, Brighton & Hove Council Environmental Unit and Brighton and Sussex Universities.

If Brighton & Hove Council are involved, should they find in favour of the complainants, they will take the following action:

  • Issue a warning letter
  • Monitor the noise levels

If you continue to cause a disturbance after this, they may:

  • Apply to the court for a restraining order against all occupants of the house
  • Fine the occupants up to £5,000
  • Confiscate all musical equipment including laptops and computers

If the police are involved, they may contact the Council and G4 Lets. You should be aware that we are required by law to assist the police in any way they require.

We will always send you a letter regarding the complaint(s) giving you clear advice and instructions on how you need to conduct yourselves to avoid further measures. We will provide follow up support where necessary.

Further complaints will result in your guarantors being contacted to advise them of the situation.

You should also be aware that persistent noise complaints may affect you when seeking a future tenancy as we are often contacted by prospective landlords asking for references.